As I enjoy the view from my window of the last of the fall leaves dangling from a few branches; I wanted to pause to record a few reflections about this past week.
On Monday I had the opportunity to meet with Jeanne for coffee at Fusion in North Liberty to discuss a request for MS science units from Vernon MS; with Janine for tea at the Linn Mar student coffee shop to debrief her observation of my Assessment for Learning presentation to the Marion District Leadership Team; with Amy K. at her new office in the Linn Mar ESC to discuss the future of the FOSS Benchmark Assessments and to show her the STC assessment packet; and finally I met with Jason, Eldon, Steve, Julie, Christopher and Nannette via Adobe Connect to plan for our Uncovering Student Thinking in Middle Level Science Course: Connecting with the Iowa Core (aka USTMSS). A full day to say the least.
On Tuesday I participated in the College CSD Secondary Cadre where the morning was spent deepening these teacher leader's understanding of Assessment for Learning and the afternoon was spent supporting the HS cadre members as they planned for their December District Professional Learning Day. I had the opportunity to facilitate a discussion on two articles on AfL and decided to use a Prezi to support the verbal instructions with visual cues. Although I am a confident user of multimedia presentation tools - for some reason I still struggle with switching to their document camera. I think I need more practice! I will make a request of Karen and Ying to practice with their document camera before I am asked to present in front of the diverse group of cadre teachers to better model the integration of this technology in my practice. I am gaining more experience working with the CCSD Secondary Cadre members as a result of this work this year; which is a stretch for me as, in the past, I have mainly worked with the science teachers. I plan to check in this week with the HS administrators to process how this new role is perceived by both of them and their cadre members.
Wednesday was a day I planned to use some comp time and focus on cleaning up some of my emails. As it turned out I spent the morning in the UIHC Family Health Clinic trying to determine what skin affliction I was suffering. When I learned it was Shingles I became concerned with the fact that I may have exposed young, expectant teachers to the chickenpox virus ~ so I emailed those I had been in contact with since last Friday. Probably unnecessary; but I would rather be safe and fully disclose the possibilities of catching the chickenpox rather than learn after the fact that I was the cause of someone else's illness. I was also advised by the doctors to take a couple of days off work.... so I did....sort'a
Thursday I SKYPED with Steve about the GEI plan and the Physics Olympics Rules committee meeting.
Friday I CONFERENCE CALLED the Vernon MS Science teachers to discuss their plan to 'pilot' or 'scout' the Force and Motion and Planetary Science units. In addition, Nannette and I spoke via cell phones to debrief her week and speak specifically about VMS's OSO grant and the potential for Deb to use Engineering is Elementary kits.
Both days I EMAILED and made PHONE CALLS to stay abreast of my tasks.
So much for sick leave!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment